Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rookie Road Trip

Tavi Gevinson and I.
Had an amazing day hanging out with the crew from Rookie Magazine, which is by far the coolest thing on the internet. The online magazine, which is technically for teen girls, but can be appreciated by peoples of any age or gender, posts various stories, fictional and real, photo shoots, mixtapes, interviews (check out this great video with John Hamm in which he helps readers with their various problems), DIYs, and various other stories written by editors and submitted by readers. While not a physical publication, Rookie provides what other teen magazines have never before. They mix the light-hearted with the heart-wrenching, the funny with the serious. Often while reading an article on Rookie I have felt a stronger connection with the writer and their experiences than with pieces in other teen magazines.

Rookie was founded by the queen of fashion bloggers, Tavi Gevinson  of the site Style Rookie. I have loved her blog for years and I was beyond ecstatic when I found the Rookie Road Trip, a national road trip in which the editors of Rookie visit cities across America to hang out with Rookie fans, would be stopping in Portland. When I arrived at the meet up I felt nervous approaching the group of Rookie fans and editors. I didn't let my nerves get the better of me and ended up having a great time sitting in the grass, talking to fellow Rookie fans, and getting to chat with Tavi (!!!!!!!) She was incredibly sweet, taking interest in all of our "small town" stories, when her most recent adventure was having dinner with Winona Ryder. Right as I was about to go, Rookie editor Petra asked to take a picture of me, seeing she was taken by both my outfit and my armpit hair (whenever someone comments on it negatively in the future I'll just tell them a professional photographer, who has taken pictures for various publications such as Vogue Italia, took a picture of me because of it). 

I had a great time hanging with the Rookie crew as well as meeting fellow Portland Rookie lovers. It is a great publication and I strongly recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment